Matthew Lewis, 2000
(NOTE: While this page remains currently out of date, an updated
page with repaired links and many many additions is in the process of
being generated and is expected to come online during summer 2006)
Visual Aesthetic Evolutionary Design Links
This is a resource page intended to provide pointers to projects
and writings dealing with the interactive evolutionary design of
image, form, and motion, via aesthetic selection. Pioneers in this
field include Richard Dawkins, Karl Sims, William Latham and Stephen
Email additions, corrections, suggestions, etc. to
General Articles, Papers, Books...
"Aspects of Evolutionary Design by Computers" and
Evolutionary Design by Computers
Davidson, Aaron. "Evolution of Art by Aesthetic Selection"
- "Evol-artists - a new breed entirely"
Gatarski, Richard and
"Breed Better Designs: the generative approach"
Kelly, Kevin. "Out of Control"
"Aesthetic Evolutionary Design with Data Flow Networks"
"Evolving the Shape of Things to Come: A Comparison of Interactive Evolution and Direct Manipulation for Creative Tasks"
- Moss, Linda.
"Evolutionary Computer Graphics"
Rooke, Steven. "Evolutionary Art Glossary"
- Saunders, Rob and John S. Gero.
"The Digital Clockwork Muse: a Computational Model of Aesthetic Evolution"
- Schnier, Thorsten.
Tabuada, Paulo, Pedro Alves, and Jorge Gomes.
"3D Artificial Art by Genetic Algorithms"
- Takagi, Hideyuki
"Papers on Interactive Evolutionary Computation"
Mitchell. "Breeding Aesthetic Objects: Art and Artificial Evolution"
and "Metacreative Engines: Artificial Life and the Edge of Art"
- Ashmore, Laurence.
Cartesian Genetic Programming
- Cambrian Art
- Davis, Harley.
- Greenfield, Gary.
- Machado, Penousal. "Evolutionary Art
- Mindcube Software.
- Mount, John.
Programming, Genetic Art"
- Rooke, Steven.
- Ross, Brian.
Generating 2D textures and 3D textures
- Rowley, Tim.
Visual Genetic Programming"
Misc Image, Color, and 2D Shape Evolution
Ian and Matthew
- Chupa, Anna and
Michael Chupa. "Generative Texture Maps
- Dudek, Gregory. "Genetic Art" (mac-based drawing program)
- Eckert, Kelly, and Stacey.
"Interactive Generative Systems for Conceptual Design: An Empirical
- Emergent Design."Bottle Generator"
- Gatarski, Richard.
"Evolutionary Banners: An Experiment with Automated Advertising Design"
- Geyer-Schulz, Andreas.
- Graf, Jeanine and Wolfgang Banzhaf. "Interactive Evolution Papers"
- Ito, Eiji and Shun Ishizaki. Creative design support system using evolutionary computation (the "Creative Flower" system)
- Lund, Henrik Hautop.
"The Artificial Painter"
"Mondriaan Art by Evolution"
- Monmarché, Nocent, Slimane, Venturini, and Santini.
"Imagine" (evolving HTML style sheets)
Christian and Andreas
"Evolution of Color and Shape"
- Ransen, Owen. "Gliftic"
- Singleton, Andy. "Doodle Garden"
- Wiley, Keith. "Pattern Evolver"
William Latham and Stephen Todd
Misc 3D Shape, Form, Geometry Evolution
- Bedwell, Ted. "Artificial
Evolution of Implicit Surfaces : An Application of Genetic
- Emergent Design
"Evolutionary Design of a Virtual Garden"
- Graham, Ian J.
- Haefner, Ulrich. "Virtual Reality and Genetic Algorithms"
- Holenstein, Markus. "Selection3D"
- Kasprzyk, Alex.
"Concha" (shell evolution)
of Game Environments and "Evolving Human
- Nishino, Hiroaki, H. Takagi, and K. Utsumiya. "A Digital Prototyping System for Designing Novel 3D Geometries"
- Lapré, Laurens. "Lparser"
- Parmee, Ian
- Rowland, Duncan.
"VRML Sculpture Park"
- Traxler, C. and M. Gervautz.
"Using genetic algorithms to improve the
visual quality of fractal plants generated with CSG-PL-Systems."
- Venkatasubramanian, Venkat, Anantha Sundaram, King Chan, and James M. Caruthers.
Computer-Aided Molecular Design Using Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms
- "Artifice" (Interactive, Shockwave)
- Blostein, Beth
and Terry Monnett.
"Tectonic Evolution" (SIGGRAPH '95 Electronic Theater animation)
- Broughton, T., P. Coates, and H. Jackson
"Exploring 3D design worlds using Lindenmayer systems and Genetic
- Coates, Paul and CECA at UEL School of Architecture
- EDG group at MIT
John. An Evolutionary Architecture. London : Architectural Association
Publications, 1995. (also see: report
by Rob Saunders, and The Dynamic Evolution
- Gero, John:
- Jackson, Helen:
O'Reilly, Una-May. "Research Projects"
- Rosenman, Michael:
Soddu, Celestino and Enrica Colabella:
This list originated as a subset of the ever inspirational Craig Reynolds' more general list of links for
Evolutionary Computation for Art and Design. See Craig's list for
a broader range of related evolutionary design projects, including
music evolution, automatic motion generation, etc.
The Ohio State University
Matthew Lewis, 2000
Page created 2/12/00
Last updated 10/05/03
Matthew Lewis, 2000
(The most recent version of this document can be found at